Levi Strauss and World

Levi Strauss and World
From Denim a Rainbow of Possibilities

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Personal essay on the Levi's experience from the Rapid's Times

Out There: Times, jeans sure do change


October 23, 2010

 I didn't own a pair of Levi's until I was in my 20s and living in Wisconsin Rapids. It took a long time before they were "broken in," a soft, faded denim, with just the right amount of wear.While I don't remember what I paid for those jeans, I certainly know it wasn't the $50 or more kids pay today for the name brand, ripped and distressed jeans they wear.

You can get your jeans acid-washed, antiqued, creased, crushed, dirty, frayed, over-dyed, pre-ripped, sand blasted and sand washed, tinted or whiskered.And you pay a good price to have that done for you.

Used to be a time when if your jeans showed any of those characteristics, there was only one place for them: the trash.

I'm not sure what warrants tossing a pair of jeans to the garbage these days. What more can you do to them that hasn't already been done?

One of my kids -- who shall remain nameless for his own protection -- was caught sandpapering and otherwise destroying a perfectly good pair of jeans. There probably was more concentration and effort involved in that task than in his homework.

Of course, wearing jeans to class was all but impossible until I got into high school. When I was going to Catholic school, pants weren't allowed for many years. And wearing jeans to church? Unheard of. I used to tell my mother God wouldn't care what I wore to church, as long as I was there. She didn't buy it.

Times have changed.

Not only do students wear jeans to school, they wear everything from shorts, flip-flops, and flannel "lounge" pants (I call them pajama pants) to dressier clothes, including suits and ties.

Admittedly, I do enjoy casual Fridays at the office.

And, contrary to what might have been thought years ago, the sky does not fall when I wear jeans to church on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment